Gateway Middle School, an innovative public charter school in San Francisco, is seeking a Middle School Math Coach and Math/Science teacher. Gateway Middle School is committed to helping each student – regardless of learning style or previous academic achievement – learn the skills, habits and knowledge necessary for success in college and beyond.
Key Characteristics of Gateway Middle School:
- A small school where all students are known well and supported to achieve at high levels
- A diverse student body that is supported to be active partners in their education
- A strong commitment to and respect for diversity and difference
- An emphasis on four core values and restorative practices to develop positive relationships and community
- A faculty who believes that all students learn differently and who vary their approaches to meet individuals’ needs
- A supportive adult community characterized by continuous learning, reflection and collaboration
Gateway’s Approach to Math and Science:
- Extended Math classes (80 minutes) to support conceptual learning as well as fluency and skill development
- A focus on CCSS-Math practices through the use of Number Talks, collaborative learning, and complex tasks
- An inquiry-based approach to Science, focused on the process and practices scientists use to investigate the world
Math Coach and Math/Science Teacher Responsibilities:
- Coach and support Math/Science teachers in Mathematics instruction
- Collaborate with instructional leaders to plan professional development and build common instructional practices
- Teach one block of Common Core Mathematics
- Teach one section of NGSS-aligned Science
- Collaborate with teaching team to plan curriculum, lessons and assessments
- Lead a daily Advisory of 16-18 students, supporting their social-emotional growth and academic learning.
- Collaborate with subject area and grade level teams to plan curriculum, analyze student learning, differentiate instruction and build a positive school culture
- Commitment to Gateway's mission is essential, including a desire to work with a diverse student body
- Experience teaching middle school math, coaching teachers, and/or leading professional development
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and parents
- Desire to be part of building common instructional practices and the larger school culture and community
- Current California credential required -- Multiple Subjects or Single Subject(s)
- Bilingual candidates and candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply
To Apply: Please e-mail, send, or fill out the form with the following:
- Your resume and a cover letter addressing your understanding of and commitment to Gateway’s unique mission.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Proof of a CA teaching credential or information indicating your eligibility to receive one.
- Optional: A lesson plan or other materials indicative of your educational philosophy.
Gateway Middle School
1512 Golden Gate Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94115
Gateway Middle School supports and challenges all students to discover their unique potential, actively participate in their community, and develop skills and habits to achieve excellence in high school and college.