Gateway Middle School is seeking a Dean of Students for the Fall semester of the 2021-2022 school year, from August 2021 until the end of December 2021. We expect that Gateway Middle will have in-person learning next fall and that this will be an in-person position for the fall of 2021. However, given the current context, the role may include a continuation of Distance and/or Hybrid learning which will impact the daily tasks of the Temporary Dean.
Gateway Middle School is committed to helping each student – regardless of learning style or previous academic achievement – learn the skills, habits and knowledge necessary for success in college and beyond.
Key Characteristics of Gateway Middle School:
- A small school where all students are known well and supported to achieve at high levels
- A diverse student body that is supported to be active partners in their education
- A strong commitment to and respect for diversity and difference
- An emphasis on four core values and restorative practices to develop positive relationships and community
- A faculty who believes that all students learn differently and who vary their approaches to meet individuals’ needs
- A supportive adult community characterized by continuous learning, reflection and collaboration
The Dean of Students will work closely with other school leaders and staff to create a safe, supportive, and structured school community. The Dean of Students’ responsibilities focus on student discipline and behavior responses, restorative practices, and reinforcing common school-wide expectations that support students’ academic success.
Major Duties and Responsibilities of the Dean of Students:
Student Discipline and Behavior Response
- Serve as a point person in Student Services for responding to student behavioral issues;
- Support students in developing self-regulation and positive, effective coping skills;
- Keep accurate records, documenting all conferences, and family contact for behavior;
- Communicate with faculty and staff regarding student discipline and follow-up;
- Collaborate with the Assistant Principal and teams such as RtI/PBIS to assess existing systems for following up on and responding to behavioral issues
- Help to reinforce the effective use of a schoolwide behavior plan;
- Develop and implement incentive and reward programs for behavior, attendance, community membership;
- Meet with staff and families to discuss and develop behavior growth plans;
- Support crisis management efforts in collaboration with school leaders;
- Apply appropriate consequences for behavior in collaboration with school leaders, including facilitating conferences and hosting detention.
- Collaborate with Assistant Principal on school-wide use of restorative practices and established systems to support teachers to set and hold all students to high and consistent expectations;
- Support conflict resolution between students through restorative conferences;
- Support staff in utilizing restorative practices to establish, improve, and/or repair relationships between students and/or staff members;
Climate and Culture
- Collaborate with school leaders to develop and reinforce common school-wide expectations and to support faculty in building positive relationships and community in classrooms
- Be highly present and visible during school hours, ensuring that the school has an appropriately supportive and structured climate, which includes proactively circulating throughout the school campus;
- Support supervision during the school day and for school events.
- Collaborate with Assistant Principal to ensure that all students have excellent attendance and arrive to school on time
- Work with school staff to monitor student attendance
- Commitment to Gateway’s unique educational mission and to equitable outcomes for all students;
- Commitment to working with students from diverse backgrounds and learning profiles;
- Ability to work collaboratively with a dedicated staff and involved parent body;
- Strong leadership, organizational and communication skills;
- At least 3 years experience working with middle school students in an urban school preferred;
- Prior leadership experience in a relevant role preferred;
- Bilingual candidates and candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply;
- BA or BS degree; advanced degree in education preferred;
- Deep understanding of and/or willingness to be trained in Restorative Practices;
- Evidence of strong organizational, student management and interpersonal skills with students and families
To Apply: Please e-mail, send or fax the following:
- Your resume and a cover letter addressing your understanding of and commitment to Gateway’s unique mission.
- Three references.
Gateway Middle School
Attn: Hiring Manager
1512 Golden Gate Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94115
Gateway Middle School supports and challenges all students to discover their unique potential, actively participate in their community, and develop skills and habits to achieve excellence in high school and college.
For more information about Gateway Middle School, please visit our website at www.gatewaymiddle.org