Gateway Middle School, a public charter school in San Francisco, is seeking an innovative Middle School Spanish teacher. Gateway Middle School is committed to helping each student – regardless of learning style or previous academic achievement – learn the skills, habits and knowledge necessary for success in college and beyond.
Key Characteristics of Gateway Middle School:
- A small school where all students are known well and supported to achieve at high levels
- A diverse student body that is supported to be active partners in their education
- A strong commitment to and respect for diversity and difference
- An emphasis on four core values and restorative practices to develop positive relationships and community
- A faculty who believes that all students learn differently and who vary their approaches to meet individuals’ needs
- A supportive adult community characterized by continuous learning, reflection and collaboration
Spanish Teacher Responsibilities:
- Teach Exploratory Spanish to 7th and 8th grade students, a year-long course focused on helping students learn Spanish as a second language
- Teach Heritage Spanish to 7th and 8th grade students, a year-long course focused on developing literacy, speaking skills for students who are native Spanish speakers or students who attended bilingual elementary schools
- Teach semester-long 6th grade Spanish course, exposing all 6th graders to the Spanish program
- Plan curriculum, lessons and assessments for Exploratory Spanish and Heritage Spanish classes
- Collaborate with other staff to analyze student learning, differentiate instruction and build a positive school culture
- Commitment to Gateway's mission is essential, including a desire to work with a diverse student body
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and parents
- Desire to be part of building common instructional practices and the larger school culture and community
- Current California credential or Intern credential in Spanish or Multiple Subjects required
- Bilingual candidates and candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply
To Apply: Please e-mail, send, or fill out the form with the following:
- Your resume and a cover letter addressing your understanding of and commitment to Gateway’s unique mission.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Proof of a CA teaching credential or information indicating your eligibility to receive one.
- Optional: A lesson plan or other materials indicative of your educational philosophy.
Gateway Middle School
Attn: Hiring Manager
1512 Golden Gate Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94115
Gateway Middle School supports and challenges all students to discover their unique potential, actively participate in their community, and develop skills and habits to achieve excellence in high school and college.