Gateway Middle School, an innovative public charter school in San Francisco, is seeking a Principal. Gateway Middle School is committed to helping each student – regardless of learning style or previous academic achievement – learn the skills, habits and knowledge necessary for success in high school, college, and beyond.
Key Characteristics of Gateway Middle School:
- A small school where all students are known well and supported to achieve at high levels
- A diverse student body that is taught and encouraged to be active partners in their education
- An innovative and challenging curriculum that engages students and excites them about learning
- A strong commitment to equity as well as respect for diversity and difference
- An emphasis on four core values and restorative practices to develop positive relationships and community
- A faculty who believes that all students learn differently and who vary their approaches to meet individuals’ needs
- A supportive professional community characterized by continuous adult learning, reflection and collaboration
The principal of Gateway Middle School is responsible for advancing Gateway’s mission and vision for equitable student growth and achievement, motivating others to follow that vision, and strategically implementing the school’s program through effective coaching and management. Working closely with school leaders, the principal will encourage and support opportunities for student voice and explore ways to ritualize the values embraced by the Gateway community. Serving as principal will provide an opportunity to lead a successful and well-established school that prepares all of its students for academic success and college aspiration.
Major Duties and Responsibilities of Principal:
Working closely with school leaders, the principal ensures that decisions are driven by Gateway’s focus on achieving equitable student outcomes. The principal is responsible for:
- Clearly articulating the mission and vision through all aspects of our program, including:
- collaboration with and development of school leaders;
- maintaining a culture of high expectations;
- ritualizing school values to support the development of an inclusive school community;
- and supporting the development of the academic program.
- Coordinating the work of the Leadership Team, a representative body that includes administrators and teacher leaders, in support of school and organizational priorities;
- Partnering with families, including the Gateway Parent Association (GPA), to better understand parent experience and needs;
- Building a positive faculty culture at the school, including attracting and selecting diverse and mission-driven staff, supporting a collaborative team culture, and managing and evaluating performance;
- Managing daily operations to ensure a safe and supportive learning environment;
- Managing school resources, including establishing priorities and maintaining budget targets;
- Working collaboratively with Gateway Public Schools’ staff on shared initiatives, including student enrollment, articulation of programs, and strategic planning.
- Ensuring state and local compliance related to reporting, accreditation, and charter renewal.
- Commitment to Gateway’s unique educational mission and to equitable outcomes for all students;
- Ability to translate the Gateway mission and vision into practice;
- Commitment to working with students from diverse backgrounds and learning profiles;
- Ability to work collaboratively with a dedicated staff and involved parent body;
- Strong leadership, organizational and communication skills;
- At least 5 years experience working with middle school students in an urban school preferred;
- Current CA Administrative Services Credential or eligible for an intern or emergency credential
- Prior administrative and leadership experience in a relevant role preferred;
- Bilingual candidates and candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply;
- BA or BS degree; advanced degree in education preferred.
To Apply: Please email email@example.com with the following:
1. Your resume and a cover letter addressing your understanding of and commitment to Gateway’s unique mission.
2. Three letters of recommendation
3. Proof of a CA Administrative Services credential or information indicating your eligibility to receive one.
4. If responding by email, please send documents as pdfs.
Gateway’s Mission: Gateway Middle School supports and challenges all students to discover their unique potential, actively participate in their community, and develop skills and habits to achieve excellence in high school and college.