Gateway Middle School, a public charter school in San Francisco, is seeking a full-time Physical Education Teacher and Athletic Director. Gateway Middle School is committed to helping each student – regardless of learning style or previous academic achievement – learn the skills, habits and knowledge necessary for success in college and beyond.
Key Characteristics of Gateway Middle School:
- A small school where all students are known well and supported to achieve at high levels
- A diverse student body that is supported to be active partners in their education
- A strong commitment to and respect for diversity and difference
- An emphasis on four core values and restorative practices to develop positive relationships and community
- A faculty who believes that all students learn differently and who vary their approaches to meet individuals’ needs
- A supportive adult community characterized by continuous learning, reflection and collaboration
Physical Education Teacher and Athletic Director Responsibilities
- Teach in-person Physical Education, including teamwork, fitness and nutrition, to sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students. Teach six sections of students (2 sixth, 2 seventh, and 2 eighth grade; 3 classes per day).
- Plan Physical Education curriculum units and daily lesson plans based on PE program goals and PE state standards.
- Implement and document scores for CA state Physical Fitness testing with all students, working in collaboration with assessment coordinator (Assistant Principal)
- Coordinate and manage Gateway Middle School’s PE equipment. Manage budget and purchasing of materials and equipment in collaboration with Assistant Principal.
- Collaborate with GPS Athletic Director to support GMS athletics programming
- Coordinate and manage Gateway Middle School’s athletic program, including training and supporting coaches, monitoring students’ academic eligibility, managing program budget with principals, securing facilities, and ensuring a positive atmosphere in the program. Current sports offered include volleyball, track/cross country, basketball, tennis, table tennis, and futsal.
- Participate in weekly professional development and work collaboratively with other GMS staff members to plan curriculum and build school culture
- Complete other duties as assigned by Assistant Principal (e.g. recess supervision), within scope of regular hours.
- Commitment to Gateway's mission is essential, including a desire to work with a diverse student body
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and parents
- Experience teaching PE and managing and coaching youth athletics programs
- Initiative, flexibility and creativity to build upon a growing program
- Current California credential or eligibility for Intern credential in Physical Education
- Bilingual candidates and candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply
To Apply: Please e-mail or send the following:
- Your resume and a cover letter addressing your understanding of and commitment to Gateway’s unique mission.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Proof of a CA teaching credential or information indicating your eligibility to receive one.
- Optional: A lesson plan or other materials indicative of your educational philosophy.
Gateway Middle School
Attn: Hiring Manager
1512 Golden Gate Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94115
Gateway Middle School supports and challenges all students to discover their unique potential, actively participate in their community, and develop skills and habits to achieve excellence in high school and college.
For more information about Gateway Middle School, please visit our website at www.gatewaymiddle.org