Gateway Middle School, an innovative public charter school in San Francisco, is seeking an Office Manager. Gateway Middle School is committed to helping each student – regardless of learning style or previous academic achievement – learn the skills, habits and knowledge necessary for success in college and beyond.
Key Characteristics of Gateway Middle School:
- A small school where all students are known well and supported to achieve at high levels
- A diverse student body that is supported to be active partners in their education
- A strong commitment to and respect for diversity and difference
- An emphasis on four core values and restorative practices to develop positive relationships and community
- A faculty who believes that all students learn differently and who vary their approaches to meet individuals’ needs
- A supportive adult community characterized by continuous learning, reflection and collaboration--particularly in support of anti-racist, inclusive, and equity-focused practices.
Office Manager Responsibilities:
This is a school-based position; the Office Manager must be on-site from 7:45am-4:30pm each day.
School Office Reception and Communications -
- Performs receptionist duties by answering office phone and email, greeting visitors, and interacting with students, staff, and parents
- Sends school communications to all families through newsletters and ParentSquare (school communication app)
- Serves as an interpreter (e.g. phone calls, parent meetings) and translates communication to families as appropriate
- Works with administrators to maintain the school Google calendar including school events, teacher absences, etc.
- Along with other student support staff, tends to sick or injured students as appropriate, including administering basic first aid and preparing ASCIP accident reports
- Works closely with families to ensure a sense of belonging and a welcoming school environment
Student Records and Attendance -
- Manages all aspects of student attendance including recording absences and tardies, following up with families, and managing required state reporting
- Works with school administrators and Gateway’s Data Manager to manage the student information database system, maintain consistency of records, and generate reports as needed
- Collects, accounts for, and organizes student forms, emergency cards, etc.
- Maintains student cumulative files and acts as registrar compiling records for student programs
- Organizes school-wide mailings, utilizing parent volunteers as appropriate
School Office Management and Other Tasks -
- Manages the main office, keeping the office space organized and professional
- Manages basic supply orders for teachers and staff, working with Gateway’s Facilities Manager
- Receives and distributes mail and deliveries
- Works with vendors to troubleshoot office equipment (i.e. fax machine, postage meter, copiers)
- Coordinates with school district regarding school meal program and crossing guards
- Working with Gateway’s Facilities Manager, coordinates janitorial services and facilities work orders (as needed)
- Manages teacher substitute process with principal (i.e. requesting substitutes from agency, checking substitutes in and out when they arrive on campus; processing substitute invoices)
- Supports principal and other school leaders in organizing and administering other projects as needed.
- Commitment to Gateway's mission is essential, including a desire to work with a diverse community
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff, students and parents
- Strong organization and communication skills
- Oral and written proficiency in Spanish preferred
- Proficiency in GoogleSuite applications; ability to learn school’s student information system (PowerSchool)
- Experience as an office manager and working at a school site strongly preferred
- Desire to be part of building the larger school community
- Bilingual and BIPOC candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
To Apply: Please e-mail or send the following:
- Your resume and a cover letter addressing your understanding of and commitment to Gateway’s unique mission.
- Three letters of recommendation and/or three professional references with contact information.
* Please note that part of the interview process will also include a screening assessment of tech skills.
Gateway Middle School
Attn: Hiring Manager
1512 Golden Gate Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94115
Gateway Middle School supports and challenges all students to discover their unique potential, actively participate in their community, and develop skills and habits to achieve excellence in high school and college.
For more information about Gateway Middle School, please visit our website at www.gatewaymiddle.org