Gateway Middle School is committed to helping each student – regardless of learning style or previous academic achievement – learn the skills, habits and knowledge necessary for success in college and beyond. Foundational to our approach is a commitment to anti-racist practices that address white supremacy in our society and in our institutions.
Key Characteristics of Gateway Middle School:
- A small school where all students are known well and supported to achieve at high levels
- A diverse student body that is supported to be active partners in their education
- A strong commitment to and respect for diversity and difference
- An emphasis on four core values and restorative practices to develop positive relationships and community
- A staff who believes that all students learn differently and who vary their approaches to meet individuals’ needs
- A staff who is committed to serving the whole child so that they thrive in school and beyond
- A staff who values and embodies collaboration and collective responsibility
- A supportive adult community characterized by continuous learning, reflection and collaboration--particularly in support of anti-racist and pro-Black, inclusive, and equity-focused practices.
Learning & Literacy Specialist Responsibilities:
- Administer one-on-one reading, ELD, and math comprehension assessment in order to individualize instruction and measure growth (e.g. Fountas and Pinnell Reading assessments, etc.)
- Provide small-group instruction on active reading and meaning making strategies, English language development, and math literacy
- Collaborate with Instructional Leaders and Learning Specialists to coordinate academic intervention for students across all grades
- Case Manage 504 Accommodation Plans and consult with teachers to support students
- Co-lead an advisory class focused on community building and SEL (curriculum already created)
- Commitment to Gateway's mission, including a desire to work with a diverse student body
- Experience providing academic intervention and conducting assessments
- Experience serving students with learning differences, as well English Learners
- Current California teaching credential preferred
- BIPOC and Bilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Salary ranges from $55,000 - $90,000 depending on experience and credentials, plus full benefits, 10-month schedule
To apply: Please email the following information to email@example.com:
- Your resume and a cover letter commenting on your understanding of and commitment to Gateway's mission
- Contact information for three professional references
- Proof of a CA substitute teacher permit or information indicating your eligibility to receive one
Gateway Middle School supports and challenges all students to discover their unique potential, actively participate in their community, and develop skills and habits to achieve excellence in high school and college.
For more information about Gateway Middle School, please visit our website at www.gatewaymiddle.org