Gateway Middle School, an innovative public charter school in San Francisco, is seeking a Family Liaison. Gateway Middle School is committed to helping each student – regardless of learning style or previous academic achievement – learn the skills, habits and knowledge necessary for success in college and beyond.
Key Characteristics of Gateway Middle School:
- A small school where all students are known well and supported to achieve at high levels
- A diverse student body that is supported to be active partners in their education
- A strong commitment to and respect for diversity and difference
- An emphasis on four core values and restorative practices to develop positive relationships and community
- A faculty who believes that all students learn differently and who vary their approaches to meet individuals’ needs
- A supportive adult community characterized by continuous learning, reflection and collaboration
- A supportive adult community characterized by continuous learning, reflection and collaboration--particularly in support of anti-racist and pro-Black, inclusive, and equity-focused practices.
The Family & Student Liaison supports and advocates for families and students by enlisting and supporting family engagement in student academic success; by working with families in identifying and achieving academic goals; by accessing support services; by developing training opportunities and facilitating positive family, school relationships and communication; by collaborating with site leaders and the leadership team to create a safe, loving and rigorous learning environment for all students . Additionally, the Family Liaison creates authentic and diverse involvement opportunities for all families to contribute to their school community. The Family Liaison also serves as a crucial bridge between our students’ families, home lives, lived experiences, and school.
Major Duties and Responsibilities of the Family Liaison:
- Develops and implements a comprehensive program to increase and improve family involvement in support of student education
- Works to enlist and engage culturally and linguistically diverse family groups in program activities with a primary focus on historically underrepresented communities
- Organizes, implements, coordinates and present family education workshops and training sessions
- Develops volunteer activities, including coordinating affinity groups, cohort parents, volunteers, etc.
- Collects and evaluates the data of family involvement activities
- Coordinates after-school programming to support students and families
- Communicates with families (through newsletters or other means) about family events & resources
- Works closely with the student services team to support a positive school climate and positive student behavior and attendance with family support (this could include a caseload of students to provide focused support)
- Outreach and communication with parents/guardians to support student success and an ongoing partnership between school and family (e.g. partnering with families to address attendance, homework and/or social-emotional challenges; referring student or family members to available programs/services, etc.)
- Completes shared lunch, recess and after school supervision responsibilities
- Serve as an advisory or co-advisory teacher for a daily advisory group
- Commitment to Gateway’s unique educational mission and to equitable outcomes for all students
- Commitment to working with students from diverse backgrounds and learning profiles
- Ability to work collaboratively with a dedicated staff and involved parent body
- Strong leadership, organizational and communication skills
- At least 3 years experience working with middle school students in an urban school preferred
- Prior experience in a relevant role preferred
- Bilingual candidates and BIPOC candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- BA or BS degree; advanced degree in education preferred
- Evidence of strong organizational, student management and interpersonal skills with students and families
Compensation and Benefits:
- Position is full-time and includes full health benefits.
- Family Liaison is on the 11-month, school year calendar
- Salaried position; competitive salary based on experience
To Apply: Please e-mail, send or fax the following:
- Your resume and a cover letter addressing your understanding of and commitment to Gateway’s unique mission.
- Three letters of recommendation
Gateway Middle School
Attn: Hiring Manager
1512 Golden Gate Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94115
Gateway Middle School supports and challenges all students to discover their unique potential, actively participate in their community, and develop skills and habits to achieve excellence in high school and college.
For more information about Gateway Middle School, please visit our website at www.gatewaymiddle.org