Gateway Middle School, a public charter school in San Francisco, is seeking an Ethnic Studies teacher. This is a 2021-2022 School Year position, with the potential of becoming permanent depending on success and need. The teacher will serve students in 6th-8th grade in an elective class. Gateway Middle School is committed to helping each student – regardless of learning style or previous academic achievement – learn the skills, habits and knowledge necessary for success in college and beyond.
Key Characteristics of Gateway Middle School:
- A small school where all students are known well and supported to achieve at high levels
- A diverse student body that is supported to be active partners in their education
- A strong commitment to and respect for diversity and difference
- An emphasis on four core values and restorative practices to develop positive relationships and community
- A faculty who believes that all students learn differently and who vary their approaches to meet individuals’ needs
- A supportive adult community characterized by continuous learning, reflection and collaboration--particularly in support of anti-racist, pro-Black, inclusive, and equity-focused practices.
- A strong stance for anti-racist and pro-Black principles and practices.
Ethnic Studies Teacher Responsibilities:
- Teach Ethnic Studies to 6th, 7th and 8th grade students
- Plan curriculum, lessons and assessments for Ethnic Studies classes rooted in Critical Race Theory Framework
- Collaborate with other staff to plan curriculum and projects, analyze student learning, differentiate instruction and build a positive school culture
- Commitment to Gateway's mission is essential, including a desire to work with a diverse student body
- Ability to work collaboratively and constructively with colleagues, parents/caregivers, and students
- Desire to be part of building common instructional practices and the larger school culture and community
- Current California credential or eligibility for an intern credential required
- Bilingual and BIPOC candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
To Apply: Please e-mail or send the following:
- Your resume and a cover letter addressing your understanding of and commitment to Gateway’s unique mission.
- Three letters of recommendation and/or three professional references with contact information
- Proof of a CA teaching credential or information indicating your eligibility to receive one.
- Optional: A lesson plan or other materials indicative of your educational philosophy.
Gateway Middle School
Attn: Hiring Manager
1512 Golden Gate Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94115
Gateway Middle School supports and challenges all students to discover their unique potential, actively participate in their community, and develop skills and habits to achieve excellence in high school and college.
For more information about Gateway Middle School, please visit our website at www.gatewaymiddle.org