Gateway Middle School, an innovative public charter school in San Francisco, is seeking an Assistant Principal. Gateway Middle School is committed to helping each student – regardless of learning style or previous academic achievement – learn the skills, habits and knowledge necessary for success in college and beyond.
Key Characteristics of Gateway Middle School:
- A small school where all students are known well and supported to achieve at high levels
- A diverse student body that is taught and encouraged to be active partners in their education
- An innovative and challenging curriculum that engages students and excites them about learning
- A strong commitment to and respect for diversity and difference
- An emphasis on four core values and restorative practices to develop positive relationships and community
- A faculty who believes that all students learn differently and who vary their approaches to meet individuals’ needs
- A supportive professional community characterized by continuous adult learning, reflection and collaboration
The assistant principal of Gateway Middle School will work closely with the principal to lead the school program. Focusing largely on student culture and expectations, the assistant principal is charged with overseeing and developing policies, rituals, and programs that support students’ academic and social-emotional growth. Serving as the assistant principal of Gateway Middle School will provide an opportunity to help lead a school that prepares all of its students for academic success and college opportunity, regardless of their incoming academic levels
Major Duties and Responsibilities of Assistant Principal:
The assistant principal is responsible for:
- Providing instructional leadership of Gateway Middle School by clearly articulating the mission and vision as well as expectations of students and staff;
- Supporting faculty in building positive relationships and community in classrooms;
- Leading use of restorative practices and established systems to support teachers to set and hold all students to high and consistent expectations;
- Coaching teachers and working with principal and teacher leaders to plan and implement professional development, especially as it relates to relationship building with students, classroom management, and school culture;
- Serving as the point person for responding to student behavioral issues and leading staff efforts to ensure that all students have excellent attendance and arrive at school on time;
- Supervising and coordinating other key student support providers and academic support programs (e.g. the School Counselor, the Student Support Coordinator, WEB Leadership program, Advisory and Student Council programs);
- Coordinating and facilitating school field trips, outdoor education trips, and college visits for all grades in collaboration with teachers and principal;
- Working with the athletic director to ensure athletic teams are meeting expectations and that all needs are being met for athletes and coaches;
- Commitment to Gateway’s unique educational mission and to equitable outcomes for all students;
- Ability to translate the Gateway mission and vision into practice;
- Commitment to working with students from diverse backgrounds and learning profiles;
- Ability to work collaboratively with a dedicated staff and involved parent body;
- Strong leadership, organizational and communication skills;
- At least 3 years experience working with middle school students in an urban school preferred;
- Prior administrative and leadership experience in a relevant role preferred;
- BA or BS degree; advanced degree in education preferred.
- Bilingual candidates and candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply;
To Apply: Please e-mail, send or fax the following:
- Your resume and a cover letter addressing your understanding of and commitment to Gateway’s unique mission.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Proof of a CA teaching credential or information indicating your eligibility to receive one.
Gateway Middle School
1512 Golden Gate Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94115
Gateway Middle School supports and challenges all students to discover their unique potential, actively participate in their community, and develop skills and habits to achieve excellence in high school and college.