Gateway High School is committed to helping each student—regardless of learning style or previous academic achievement—gain the skills, habits and knowledge necessary for post-secondary success. Foundational to our approach is a commitment to anti-racist practices that address white supremacy in our society and in our institutions.
Key Characteristics of Gateway High School:
- A small school where all students are known well and supported to achieve at high levels
- A diverse student body that is supported to be active partners in their education
- A strong commitment to and respect for diversity and difference
- An innovative and challenging curriculum that engages students and excites them about learning
- A supportive adult community characterized by continuous learning, reflection and collaboration-- particularly around anti-racist and culturally responsive practices.
- A staff who believe that all students learn differently and who vary their approaches to meet individuals’ needs
Humanities Teacher Responsibilities Include:
- Teach five blocks of Humanities– grade level and course to be determined
- Collaborate with the department and course team to plan and improve curriculum
- Serve as an Advisor for 18 students
- Commitment to Gateway's mission, including a desire to work with a diverse student body
- Desire to be part of building the larger school culture and community
- Current California single subject credential in English Language Arts or Social Science
- Bilingual and BIPOC candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply: Please email the following information to [email protected]:
- Your resume and a cover letter commenting on your understanding of and commitment to Gateway's mission
- Three letters of recommendation or contact information for three professional references
- Proof of a CA teaching credential or information indicating your eligibility to receive one
- Optional: A lesson plan or other materials indicative of your educational philosophy
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they met every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our qualifications described.
Gateway’s Mission: Gateway High School is a model, college preparatory charter school committed to academic excellence through personalized, student-centered learning. Gateway combines a rigorous academic program with an approach where the individual talents and strengths of its students are identified and supported. Working with teachers committed to our mission, Gateway students will acquire the skills, habits, and knowledge necessary for academic and personal success in college and in adult life.
For more information about Gateway High School, please visit our website at www.gatewayhigh.org