About Gateway Public Schools
Twenty years ago, a group of San Francisco parents had the dream of creating a school that would be a gateway to college for all students regardless of race, income or learning style. They founded Gateway High School, a college preparatory, public charter school in San Francisco. Since then more than 96% of our graduates have gone on to college, nearly twice the statewide rate. Expanding on its success, Gateway Middle School was established in 2011 to support students starting in 6th grade. Today, Gateway’s mission is to prepare a broad range of learners for success in college and beyond by combining a rigorous academic program with an approach where the individual talents, strengths and needs of our learners are identified and supported. With two campuses in San Francisco’s Western Addition, Gateway Public Schools (GPS) serves nearly 800 students and an entire community of educators each year. Learn more about our schools at www.gatewayps.org.
Gateway Public Schools seeks an innovative and energetic Communications Manager with a professional background in digital and print communications to develop and promote the schools’ mission through an integrated marketing and communications strategy . We seek someone with strong oral and written communication skills, experience with social media and technology, and experience in a nonprofit environment. Experience in schools a plus.
The Communications Manager reports to the Director of Development and Outreach and supports the work of the Development and strategic teams. The manager will develop and deliver key messages, ensure consistency and continuity, and reinforce the mission and goals of Gateway Public Schools. The Communications Manager will collaborate with GPS administrative team, faculty, and staff to develop and execute initiatives, remain current on key issues, and to cultivate positive relationships with the school’s community members.
This is a full time position located onsite at Gateway’s Main Office in San Francisco’s Western Addition. The office is close to several MUNI lines and offers onsite parking for $50 per school year.
- Partner with the Director of Development and Outreach to develop and evaluate the annual Development and Communications Strategic Plan to effectively reach all targeted audiences through a variety of channels
- Manage Gateway Public Schools’ communications, branding and marketing strategy to advance Gateway in the areas of community relations, development, enrollment and outreach
- Manage content, production and publication for digital, print and social media
- Write clear, concise and compelling content in brand voice for press releases, blogs, events, e-newsletters, websites, social media, and other school materials
- Generate digital content and create an online strategy that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action
- Collaborate with all Gateway departments to ensure consistency of messaging, brand voice, and visual identity and implement the organization-wide communications strategy
- Manage media relations, including developing press releases, pitching stories, and responding to media inquiries
- Act as a liaison between Gateway educators and the IT department for Gateway Impact content management and website maintenance
- Engage with administrators, faculty and students on current activities in the classroom and schools, to understand, observe and report on how the educational program provides value and aligns Gateway’s mission and vision
- Identify, recruit, and manage external contractors, such as photographers, videographers, graphic designers, printers, etc.
- Stay abreast of best practices, current events, and new resources to continuously identify new opportunities and refine existing strategies
- Join the Development-Communications team in planning and executing major development events; assist with school-wide events as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
Gateway does not expect every applicant to have every skill and qualification listed here. A strong candidate who is interested in growing and learning in this role will match at least 75%.
- Minimum of 5-7 years professional experience in communications and/or marketing, preferably in a nonprofit organization and/or educational setting
- A commitment to public education and alignment with Gateway’s mission and values, as well as creating an inclusive community for students and families
- Outstanding verbal communication, interpersonal skills, and the ability to interact with a variety of personalities with tact and diplomacy
- Proactive nature with great attention to detail
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Strong graphic design skills, including photo editing and infographic design
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Knowledge of effective use of emerging communication technologies, especially email campaign platforms and social media, as well as metrics to determine effectiveness
- Experience with or a willingness to learn website management and content creation
- Experience with or a willingness to learn Salesforce, ParentSquare and PowerSchool
- Ability to articulate Gateway’s mission, programs, and initiatives in a compelling way to diverse audiences
- Must be an independent, strategic, and creative thinker who is a strong team player and willing to enthusiastically take on additional responsibility as necessary
This describes the position we are looking to fill and the experience and qualifications a candidate should possess. We recognize that no one person will be equally strong in every area and that some candidates will bring other strengths or experiences we haven’t described here. If you are passionate about our work and have a vision to share with us, please apply. We will carefully consider every serious applicant. Gateway is committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ+ persons, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full time, exempt position with a competitive salary. GPS offers an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, six weeks paid vacation, holidays and sick time, professional development opportunities, a retirement savings plan, onsite parking, and, if qualified, student loan repayment support.
Applicants should email a resume, a cover letter, and up to three writing samples to Chanda Lockhart, Director of Development and Outreach at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Communications Manager Application, [your full name]. All requested materials should be attachments, preferably in PDF format (a free version is available online here).
In your cover letter, tell us (1) why you want to work with us, (2) why you are a good fit for this particular role, and (3) how your previous work or life experience prepared you for this role.
Writing samples may include articles, blog posts or guest columns, fact sheets or collateral, social media or email examples, or other items that demonstrate the skills and abilities required for this position. You should be the primary writer and/or designer on any samples submitted.
The interview process will include a project-based round that will require a minimum of three hours of work.