Putting the “Public” Back in Public Education
At Gateway Public Schools, we have an important and ambitious goal: ensuring that each and every one of our diverse students goes to college and thrives. Now more than ever, we cannot accomplish this goal without your help.
Volunteers play an important role in Gateway Public Schools. Each day, family members, local college students, and individuals or groups from the community bring fresh perspectives, enthusiasm, and patience into our schools while assisting teachers, staff, and students. They encourage students and inspire them to reach their potential. Additionally, these volunteers experience a sense of fulfillment and pride in helping to improve our schools for everyone in the community.
Volunteering is Easy
- Volunteer opportunities are available to work directly with students or behind the scenes, using volunteers’ unique skill sets and expertise.
- Volunteer orientation is provided throughout the school year.
- We welcome individuals and groups of volunteers.
- Flexible volunteer hours are available during the school day, after school, and occasionally on weekends.
- No teaching experience is required.
Ways to Get Involved
- Assist teachers in the classroom
- Tutor students in any subject during the school day or after school
- Support our after school snack program by picking up and distributing snacks
- Provide technology support and training to teachers
- Assist office staff with reception, mailings, and other fun tasks
- Come to campus and make a presentation about careers
- Provide apprenticeships and internships for students in grades 9-12
- Participate in job-shadowing programs for students in grades 6-8
- Help students with the college application process including college essays and interviews
- Reach out to college admission officers on behalf of our students
- Research and compile scholarship opportunities
- Landscape and tend to our garden
- Help with minor repair or improvement projects for our buildings and grounds
- Research other innovative education programs
- Set up partnerships with local businesses and community groups
- Research and/or write grants to support our educational program
- Join a committee or task force of Gateway’s Board of Trustees
- Lend a hand at one of our special events
We also welcome donations of used books, magazines, furniture, and lab equipment.
To get started, fill out the volunteer interest form.