Putting the “Public” Back in Public Education
At Gateway Public Schools, we have an important and ambitious objective: to ensure that each and every one of our diverse students has the opportunity to attend college and thrive. Now more than ever, we cannot accomplish this goal without your help.
Volunteers play an important role in Gateway Public Schools. Each day, family members, local college students, and individuals or groups from the community bring fresh perspectives, enthusiasm, and patience into our schools while assisting teachers, staff, and students. They encourage students and inspire them to reach their potential. Additionally, these volunteers experience a sense of fulfillment and pride in helping to improve our schools for everyone in the community. It is a circle of giving that we work to foster in our students, too.
Volunteering is Easy
- Volunteer opportunities are available to work directly with students or behind the scenes, using volunteers’ unique skill sets and expertise.
- Volunteer orientation is provided throughout the school year.
- We welcome individuals as well as groups of volunteers.
- Flexible volunteer hours are available during the school day, after school, and occasionally on weekends.
- No teaching experience is required.
Ways to Get Involved
We currently need assistance in three major areas: academic support, college access, and career exploration. Here are some of the ways you can help:
- Provide an invaluable internship opportunity for our 11-12th graders: small commitment - only 2 hours a week for 8 weeks to allow a student to explore his or her potential future.
- Present your career path to interested high school students at our ongoing high school’s Pizza and Possibilities Speaker Series during Monday lunches.
- Participate in job-shadowing programs for students in grades 6-8.
- Assist teachers in the classroom.
- Tutor students in any subject during the school day or after school.
- Help students with the college application process including college essays and interviews.
- Reach out to college admission officers on behalf of our students.
- Research and compile scholarship opportunities.
We also welcome donations of used books, magazines, furniture, and lab equipment.
To get started, fill out the volunteer interest form.